The Sankat Mochan Hanuman Temple is a project sponsored by the Hanuman Fellowship and is located within the grounds of the Mount Madonna Center for the Creative Arts and Sciences, a residential private retreat and conference center. Established in 1978 by the students of Baba Hari Dass, Mount Madonna Center is a community designed to nurture the creative arts and the health sciences within a context of personal and spiritual growth. Residents of the Center are a group whose talents and interests are unified by the common practice of Yoga.
We welcome you to our Temple and Center. Please be mindful that many guests come to the Center for meditation and contemplation. We encourage quiet and reflection. Please keep your children with you and help us to preserve our peaceful atmosphere.
Open daily to visitors
Monday - Saturday 6:00am - 7:00pm
Sunday 4:00pm - 7:00pm
Arati is performed daily at 6:30am and 6:00pm.
Guests arriving before 4:00pm on Sundays
cannot be accommodated.
Saturday is our busiest day at the Temple, and parking is limited.
If you plan to visit on a Saturday between 11am and 7pm,
make a reservation here.
Other days and times, reservations are not necessary.
*Please note reservations can only be made online*
Picnicking is not permitted on our property. There are picnicking facilities a mile and a half up the road at Mount Madonna County Park (408) 842-2341. Please do not bring food to Mount Madonna Center or to Kim Son Monastery.
Important Information for Temple Guests:
- To visit the temple on Saturdays between 11am and 7pm, please make a reservation on this website.
- Groups of 25 or more must schedule an appointment to visit the temple anytime during open hours on Saturdays and Sundays. Please call (408) 722-0226 or email email@example.com. Confirmation of group reservation by temple staff is required prior to group visit. Please also note that Mount Madonna Center is only open from 4pm to 7pm on Sundays.
- Upon arrival, please pick up a brochure at the Gate House or Temple highlighting areas open to day visitors. The Temple is located within a private residential community, and many areas are reserved for private retreats and conferences.
- Most buildings and indoor areas surrounding the Temple are reserved for registered guests and residents of Mount Madonna Center. To register as an overnight guest on a personal retreat at the Mount Madonna Center, please visit www.mountmadonna.org/personal.
- Please help us to maintain an atmosphere of peace and contemplation. Many of Mount Madonna Center’s guests practice meditation and other spiritual disciplines for which quiet surroundings are important. Please avoid loud conversations and be sure that any children in your group are not left unattended.
- Arati is performed daily by resident pujaris at 6:30am and 6:00pm. Please note that darshan of Hanuman may not be available during the hour before arati while the pujari prepares the temple for the ceremony.
- A pujari is on duty at the Temple most Tuesdays until 10am and Saturdays until 7:00pm. On Sundays, a pujari is present during evening arati only.
- Offerings for prasad are accepted at the Temple. However, aside from prasad, consumption of food prepared outside of the Center is strictly prohibited. Anjaneya’s World Café located within the Center provides snacks and refreshments.
- No picnicking is permitted at Mount Madonna Center. There are picnicking facilities a mile and a half up the road at Mount Madonna County Park. For information, call the County Park (408) 842-2341.
- We are primarily an outdoor facility for day visitors. Please keep this in mind when you plan your visit. Weather can be unpredictable and the temperature can vary greatly.
- Smoking is not permitted at the Mount Madonna Center. Alcohol and illegal drugs are also not allowed.
- No pets are allowed.
- Donations: If you would like to make a donation to the MMC Temple Fund,
make a check payable to:
Mount Madonna Center
445 Summit Road
Watsonville, CA 95076
MMC is a 501(c)3 Non-Profit Organization, all donations are tax-deductible.
- For those wishing to dine at the Center dining hall, limited reservations are available. (Please note that we do not make reservations for Sunday.) Please make a reservation at least one day in advance by speaking directly with a MMC receptionist at (408) 846-4065. Visitors who have a meal reservation must pay for their meal at the reception office in the Community Building before 5pm.
Please call the Temple (408) 722-0226
or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For general information about the Center, call the
Mount Madonna Center Reception Office at (408) 846-4065.